Saturday, March 27, 2010

Science and wonder


Nature doesn’t stop to wonder me. So does science. I encountered a beautiful fact while reading ‘The Da Vinci Code’ – about phi. It states despite of having mathematical origin the number, equivalent to 1.618, is fundamental building block in nature. The book gives so many examples which boggle the mind. Some of the examples stated were:

The ratio of number of female bees by the number of male bees in any beehive in the world is phi.

Sun flower seeds grow in opposing spirals; the ratio of each rotation’s diameter to the next is phi.

Measure the distance from the tip of your head to the floor. Then divide that by the distance from your belly button to the floor ; guess what number you get! (Well, I did and I was surprised.)

And so many other examples…

At every step nature strives to take us back into that state of wonder we were born with. I could again come back to that state and I recall Wonder is the only way.